Tuesday, June 3, 2008

20 Years Ago Today . . .


I met my wonderful husband! Here's how it happened . . .


My parents took my friend, Katie Steele, and I to the Strawberry Festival in Payne, OH. It was a small-town street fair type thing. Katie and I were told to be back at my Dad's car no later than 6pm. Well . . . being the girls that we were - we were still on the basket ride at 6pm! We got off and ran like crazy towards the car. While running - I literally ran over Mike! He kind of laughed - and then followed us to the car trying to talk to me the entire time. He did manage to get our names - thanks to Katie!


At the time - I remember thinking how creepy it was for him to follow us the way he did. Katie, on the other hand, had an instant crush on Mike! Off we went with my parents as he stood in the parking lot watching the car until we were out of sight.


A few days later - HE KNOCKED ON MY DOOR! Somehow he figured out who I was and where I lived! (Probably with the help a family member in law enforcement!) Again - I thought - this boy is CREEPY! We talked for a little while and he left. I called Katie - who thought it was the sweetest thing ever and she hoped he was on her doorstep!


The next time he came - my Dad said that I should at least give him a chance because of the trouble he went through! I reluctantly agreed and went out with him. Little did he know - that the boy who "stalked" his daughter would eventually be his son-in-law! His charm and personality had me hooked from that first true date!


As for Katie - she was furious with me . . . but, she eventually got over it!


_________________


To my husband -


I am so very grateful that you "stalked" me and persisted! You are a wonderful father and a loving partner. I treasure the memories we share, and look forward to the many more memories to come over the next 20 years!


Love You Always!


- Missy

3 comments:

The Portas said...

That is touching and adorable! Congrats on 20 years....xoxoxox

Penny said...

Aw, so sweet! Congratulations!

Mandy said...

What an awesome story!! You gave me chills! Thanks for sharing.