Monday, December 31, 2007

Paige Avoids the ER on New Years Eve!

Daddy was outside getting the trash can, Mommy was outside putting up a new IU flag; we both heard a blood curdling scream from inside the house . . . Kayleigh hollars "MOM, PAIGE IS HURT BAD THIS TIME!!!!!!!!" We come running in to find that she has broken her finger in a bad way!

She was in the hallway and had her hand around the wall to the living room with the fingers in the hinged side of Chase's bedroom door. Chase didn't know it and shut his door from inside his room by pushing it hard - completely closing her ring finger in the door! It's entirely broke and was smashed thin at the D.I.P. joint (the joint closest to the end of the finger).

With the doc on the phone, I was able to manipulate it a bit and make sure it was straight. Fortunately - because I work in Occupational Therapy and had a clinical rotation in hand therapy - he was ok with me just splinting it. But - she would NOT stop screaming or let me touch it, let alone try to fix it. So - doc said to give her the leftover pain medicine from her surgery.

While the pain meds kicked in I ran to the store for coban wrap, came home, dug out splinting materials, and made her a finger splint. Chase went with me to Walgreens and found a stuffed puppy dog down the toy aisle that he wanted to get her. He feels so bad she got hurt! He cried as much as she did to start with!

She's all fixed up for now and laying on the couch watching TV snuggling with her new puppy. Splint stays on until we go to the pediatrician's office on Wednesday for him to check her out.

Happy New Year To Us (and all of you too!)

4 comments:

Penny said...

Oh man, you guys have had a rough year. Hope 2008 is better for you all!

Anonymous said...

OH poor little Paige, I hope U feel better real soon and keep your fingers out of doors. So sweet of Chase to get u a new puppy to say he sorry and didn't know your fingers were there.

Mandy said...

Your blog looks awesome!! You've certainly gotten the hang of it! I want to learn some of your tricks!

Poor, sweet Paige! What a doll. Way to go former preemie! Thanks for sharing and for always caring about my boy!!

Carrie and Scott said...

that sent chills down my spine...ouch! It makes me nervous to find out what lies ahead in my parenting future.