Sunday, June 8, 2008

No Common Sense In Schools Anymore?

Warning - this is Mike and I venting over something that happened Friday . . .

About lunchtime - I received a cell phone call from Chase's school. He had a piece of card-board on his lap and was poking into it with a very sharp pencil (leave it to Chase!!). That pencil poked clear through the cardboard into his left leg in the meaty portion just above his knee. The school nurse said - I had to come get him - so I dropped everything and on my way I went.

Now - Mike and I ASSUMED that he was bleeding, or had a piece of the pencil lead in his leg since they wanted me there. Afterall - I was told that I HAD to come right away. Well - we all know what happens when you ASSUME! I got there to find Chase sitting on the chair laughing and giggling as always with a cold rag on his leg. He moved it and I could hardly see the little redmark on his leg!! Sure - he had a puncture wound - but there was no lead in it, and it wasn't even really bleeding!

The nurse came out of her office and said to me "Oh I'm glad you're here. He'll need that cleaned out pretty good." I looked at her funny and said - "you couldn't do that". That's when she proceeded to tell me that they're not allowed to do first aid like that anymore!! WHAT!?! What on earth is the point of a school nurse if they can't pour peroxide on a puncture wound and send the kid back to class!

I took Chase home (we live 3 miles from the school), washed it out, poured peroxide over it, slapped a bandaid with Neosporin on it and took his little behind right back to school - where he wanted to be because it was game day. As I was signing him back in - I got questioned as to WHY he was back!! I simply looked at the receptionist and said with a bit of attitude I'm sure: "He's fine. Send him to class. I'm going back to work now" and I left.

Seriously though - have people in the US gotten so lawsuit happy that they've taken away a school nurse's ability to use common sense for crying out loud! Geesh!!

1 comment:

The Portas said...

So basically, ANYONE can be a school nurse because they can't really do anything anyway? That is so annoying!

I would have done the same thing..you're going back to school, kiddo! Ug, this whole situation annoys me, too!