Thursday, October 9, 2008

Idiots I Tell Ya! Idiots!

OK - COMPLETE VENT ALERT!

I am the Rehab Director for a Retirement Community with our primary gym being on the acute wing of the nursing center. We have an outbreak of Clostridium Difficile - commonly called "C-Diff" - on our hall. It is a horrible, highly contagious, infection in the colon. Yuck - I know!

C-Diff can be caused by a person being on high dose antibiotics. It is easily spread from person to person by not following simple handwashing and hygiene procedures. Seeing whereas the outbreak is isolated to one hall and the rooms are all right in a row with a few across the hall - it's pretty clear how it was spread!

C-Diff can cause a perfectly healthy individual to be dehydrated within a few hours if not caught or treated properly. So, with Chase's recurrent heart/blood disorder, Paige's bad asthma, and Devin's current GI trouble - this would be a BAD thing in our house! It would throw any one of them into the hospital within a day!!

I came home from work tonight and went straight to my room and changed clothes, went to the bathroom and scrubbed, then put my clothes in the laundry. I'm going to have to do this for the next 4-6 months since the C-Diff bacteria can lay dormant for up to 6 months!!! Ick!!

It irritates the daylights out of me that some idiot at work didn't have the common sense to wash their hands going from patient to patient!

Idiots I tell ya!! Complete Idiots!


1 comment:

Mandy said...

Amen! That's horrible!! I'm so sorry! You're such a good mommy to keep those babies well!!!