Thursday, November 13, 2008

I Am NOT a Good Patient!!!

For the first time ever, I got hurt at work today. I was transferring a patient from his wheelchair to his bed - usually he's "stand-by assist" or supervision. He lost his balance and I reacted by breaking his fall and twisting myself into a pretzel to get him to the bed instead of the floor! Now, I know that we are trained as therapists to assist a patient to the floor and not be Super Hero. But really - once you're in the situation - "it just don't work that way!".

During the transfer something in my lumbar spine "snapped". The nurse heard it across the room and I did all I could to not alert my patient that he had indeed hurt me. She stepped in immediately and I very calmly, and SLOWLY, walked out of his room, stood in the hall, and then just froze in pain... excrutiating pain!!

So - tonight I'm barely moving, not comfortable, aching, whining, complaining, and yes - even crying at times! It hurts. That's all there is to it! I seriously think that this pain is worse than labor!! I've taken the Skelaxin they gave me, as well as 800 mg of ibuprofin and Mike coated me with Biofreeze. So far... nothing's working and i'm just plain miserable. Mike had to leave for work and I had to pee.... poor Devin had to help me get off the recliner because it hurt so darned bad to even stand up. Then he had to help me get all the pillows back in place to attempt to be comfortable again!

I have a newfound respect for all of those who have chronic back pain. This is a first for me and let me tell ya... it sucks!

Drug me... someone please just drug me!!


2 comments:

Mandy said...

So sorry! Hope you're better soon.

The Portas said...

Oh no!! I'm so sorry to hear this. Pain just stinks, doesn't it? I can't imagine how bad this must feel for you. :( I have some leftover strong drugs from when I was in so much pain a few months ago. I can send them to you! :) Praying for quick healing for you and NO MORE PAIN. oxoxx