Saturday, May 16, 2009

Relay for Life





I made a promise to myself when Mom died, that I would do something to honor her and to help others... I finally honored that promise last night by walking in my first ever Relay for Life. It was an experience I will never forget.

The chairperson explained the symbolism of the night time walk. By the time she was done... the crowd was silent and I had tears streaming down my face.

The walk started at 7pm and went until 7am... 7pm represents the time a patient is diagnosed with cancer, it is becoming dark just as the cancer patient feels their life is darkening. As midnight approaches it gets cold, just as cancer patients begin to feel affects of cancer on their bodies. The wee hours of the morning, around 3am, represents the time a patient is receiving treatment. They feel they are their weakest and they don't feel like pushing on just as the walkers are feeling tired and weak and they often are ready to quit. The early hours sun breaks just as treatment is ending and the cancer patient knows there is an end in sight. The walk ends at 7am to start a new day, a new life for the cancer patient.

I walked for the many people in my life that have had cancer cross their lives. My Mom... My Grandmother... Mike's Grandpa Lyons... Devin's friend Katie at only 17... We also are blessed to know many survivors and I walked for them. Devin and Kayleigh's friend Alexis, my girlfriends son Ethan, Mike's Grandma Molitor, and many more. I also remembered the faces of the kids in the oncology clinic yesterday. I walked for the doctors and nurses who cared for all these people, the caregivers, and the other family members.

I met a new friend last night as well... Lori. 3 years ago yesterday she was diagnosed with cancer. Went through treatments and surgeries and recovered well. She has a beautiful 7 year old son who walked with us on our team. Just 13 weeks ago she was again diagnosed with another type of cancer and is again being treated. As I watched her son walk and play, I realized that this disease could very well take his mother from him... he's not the only one.

I am so grateful to God that I am healthy... that Paige's report came back clean yesterday... that I was able to walk for those who can't.

I am also so very grateful to Devin who participated with me. After listening to the opening ceremony Devin made a decision to run with a colleague of mine in honor of all those he knew and loved who are not here. He did just that! Devin RAN for over 2 hours... 10 miles... through the pouring down rain because he COULD... because others COULD NOT.

Those of us who walked are not the ones to be thanked or praised though... To GOD Be the Glory... we could not have done it without His hand, His strengh, and His love and we look forward to giving Glory to God next year when we walk again.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reallt nice Michelle
Rita

THE LYONS FAMILY! said...

Thank you... Hope all is well :)