Friday, July 3, 2009

Just a Moment In Time...

Word spread tonight of a high-school friend recently diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma just a few weeks ago. While on chemo he contracted a bad case of pneumonia and now is fighting for his life. The physicians are telling the family it is not looking good and to expect the worst.

It really got me thinking... when we were in high school we didn't look around and think: she's going to die in a car accident at 23, he's going be on dialysis at 40, she's going to die after a kidney transplant from complications of diabetes at 36, he's going to be fighting for his life at 41. We all seemed so invincible back then. After all, we were all going to live well into our 90's, right?

I've seen so much heartache, pain, and suffering to family and friends and such young ages. My best friend Tammy died in July of 1995 in a car accident... 23 years old. My own Mom was only 54. Cancer is not choosy and accidents do happen each and every day. Life really is unpredictable and we can't just take tomorrow for granted. We need to live today like it is our last and we need to live righteously.

Pastor Beaty said something a few weeks ago that popped back in my head tonight and I'm leaving you with it...

If you died tomorrow, would you go to Heaven? Have you opened your heart to Jesus and accepted Him? Trusted in His love for you? Are you living your life to glorify Him? Will your family know that you have given your heart to Him so that they have peace in knowing your final destination?

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me shall live, even though he dies" (John 11:25)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is so true. I thank God for everyday of my life here. I am excited to know in my heart, when i go to meet him, life is evening going to be so much more.
congrats Devin, drive safe as i know you will.
I love your new look, looks gd on you.
Happy 4th to you all, be safe and I love you all.
Aunt Rita