Saturday, July 16, 2011

Watching Prayer at Work...

(Sent to me by Chip Herrera - River Oaks Community Church's youth group on a mission trip gathered to pray for Kayleigh Monday night as she was admitted to the hospital)

This week has certainly been full of ups and downs. It isn't anything I ever thought we would be going through with our own child, and I feel so helpless as a Mom when Kayleigh is having one of her spells. All I can do is sit and watch and keep her calm.... and ask for prayer.

When we left Baptist on Wednesday I was very uneasy about taking her home. Something deep down just didn't feel right, but we decided to give it a try. I prayed that night that when I woke up Thursday morning I would feel peace and and direction. Later that night, Mike posted on his facebook wall:
"So, I stepped away on my own and gave Him a piece of my mind about Kayleigh's situation. I'm pretty sure that He chewed it up and returned it based on the headache that I currently have. Just as I was starting to think about how all of my focus has been on Kayleigh and work lately and relatively none on Him, this song popped up on Pandora...Yep, I need to step back and find my center again."



Yep... Even Mike has turned to having conversations with Him about all Kayleigh has been through!

I woke up Thursday and the thought immediately crossed my mind to call and get her seen by her doctors here at Duke - so I called the clinic to get her an appointment. The receptionist said she'd call me back (this was at 8:30am). We waited and waited and waited and waited some more! While I was waiting they pulled her Baptist Hospital records... then we got the call.... "bring her to admissions in the main hospital, we are getting a bed ready for her now".

I prayed along the trip that Kayleigh would be fine until we got here so that she wasn't miserable in the car. Well, we were here just a short time when Kayleigh went into a long run of PVCs. So glad we were here where she felt safe and could stay calm through them!

Yesterday afternoon was a great day for her... she smiled a lot and even had a solid run of heart rates in the 60's! We were thrilled.... then it happened! At first it started easy and she was handling the PVCs well, but the longer they went the worse they got and by the end it was the worst run she's had. On the monitor you can tell how strong they are by a number that goes from 0 (no PVCs) on up... she was in the high 20's and low 30's. When they start to go away the number slowly drops.

About 45 minutes in I sent a prayer request out to please pray they would stop and she would feel relief. Within 5 minutes of that prayer request she went from PVCs with a high intensity to ZERO! No tapering... straight to ZERO! Talk about the power of prayer!!!

We hate watching Kayleigh go from sitting up and smiling feeling great, to crashing hard. It's the hardest thing we've done as parents and we feel pretty helpless. But it's clear that if we pray and ask for prayer that He shows us He is right here guiding the way for His will to be done because He's just cool like that!

Thank you ALL for your love, support, and ongoing prayer!


No comments: