Friday, August 10, 2012

We Just Don't Understand...



As we prepared for Michael's surgery, we also prepared our hearts for the risks...  they were high.  He could have been paralyzed, had a stroke, or even died on that table.  There were no guarantees going into it.  The outcome of his surgery has been nothing short of miraculous with NONE of the risks that were more than 30% likely to occur!  None!   We have been so overjoyed and thankful for God's healing grace.

But just days later, a friend died tragically and unexpectedly.  A faithful follower of God who shared his love of Jesus with everyone he met.  A man who convinced my Chase (at the time 10 years old) that it was ok to be different and that he would love spending a week at our church's summer block party and then every Sunday after that Chase would look for Mister Aaron just to say Hi!   A man that my husband would see in church praying each and every Sunday across the aisle while most everyone else in the church was standing and worshipping, showing my husband that you can be real and worship in your own way each week.  A man who said the most encouraging words to me after Kayleigh sang on stage last summer, less than 4 weeks after nearly losing her life and told me that SHE was a blessing to HIM!   A man that Devin was just getting to know and that Devin could look up to as a Christian role model.  Truly....  a man of God who sought God each and every day of his life! 

Mike and I had a conversation yesterday about the mixed emotions we both feel.  One minute I am grateful that my husband is doing more each and every day, the next I feel guilty that my friend's husband is gone.  Mike's take on it is a bit different.  He wonders why he was given God's grace and more time on this earth when he openly admits he hasn't been as faithful as he should be - the way that Aaron always was, but Aaron was the man called Home...  a man who shared the love of Jesus each and every day.  He said it just seems so backwards to him and he's just not sure what to do with it. 

I don't know the answers to these questions that are stirring in our heads and I don't know why Aaron was taken from this earth leaving behind a loving wife and 4 children who don't understand it all either.  But, we are not meant to understand God's plan for each of us. 

What I do know - without a doubt - is that we can trust in God's promises and know that all of this will be used to further our own faith, grow us as a family of believers, and teach us to lean on Him more.  I also know that we need to immediately stop and say to ourselves, am I doing everything I can to show and live out love every single day of my life the way that Aaron did so that I also can be called Home and told "well done, good and faithful servant!". 

Mike has said he realizes was given more time for a reason....  he wants to hear God's call and for his life and find the reason that he is still here. 

In the coming days, weeks, and months; please continue to pray for Debbie and their 4 boys:  Joshua, Andrew, Bradley, and Paul. 



No comments: