Thursday, June 12, 2014

Happy 21st Birthday, Devin!!!



Michael Devin Lyons
June 12, 1993
5:31pm
9 pounds 6 ounces 21 1/2 inches long

Let's see if we can go back and remember how that day went ... oh ... wait ... it actually started two days prior!



Thursday June 10th I had the WORST back pain I could have ever imagined!! I suffered through it all night long, not realizing it was actually contractions! Mike reluctantly went in for his third shift schedule - I assured him I was fine! When he arrived home Friday morning I was still miserable. He stayed awake with me to be sure I was ok. Little did he know he'd be needing that sleep that he should have had!

Later that afternoon it got so bad that Mike called the hospital. The advice they gave was to have me lay on a heating pad set to low. So - that's what we did. NOT SMART! Within 15 minutes of laying on that heating pad my water broke and I was in the worst pain - now realizing it was full blown contractions! I jumped up yelling - terrified I was going to electrocute myself on that heating blanket!

Mike came in the room to see what the fuss was about and he immediately freaked out! In the prenatal classes - he saw the water break, then the baby come. He thought we were having that baby right then and there. He grabbed the phone, called the hospital and I'll never forget what he said - "HER WATER BROKE! THE BABY'S COMING NOW! WHAT DO I DO?!?!" I'm sure the nurse on the other end was laughing! She calmly told him to put me in the car and drive.

I got in the car (Mike's new car I might add) and with every contraction more water came! I'll spare you the details - other than the fluid was full of meconium and his nice new car seat was now covered in it! That 10 mile drive to Paulding Hospital felt like an eternity! By the time I got there we were told that I was dilating quickly and we'd have a baby by the time the night was over (this was Friday, June 11th)

They were half right ... I dilated quickly and began pushing sometime around midnight. But - by morning there was still no baby. Devin was posterior, face up, and I was small in the hips (ok - stop laughing now!). They started talking c-section and I refused. I kept pushing for several hours (and literally broke 2 of Mike's fingers!), and only after the baby's heartrate starting getting irratic did I start to consider it. By now - it was noon on Saturday, June 12.

When I finally caved to the c-section - we found out that my doctor, a small-town family doctor, was not certified to do a c-section and the only surgeon for Paulding County Hospital couldn't be located! I could keep trying while they kept trying to locate him, or I could transfer to a different hospital. The decision was made to transfer by my husband and family.

I layed there - in full labor - pushing when I could - until after 3pm while they made arrangements. By now - Mike had been awake since Thursday night at 11pm . . . over 30 hours! I went via ambulance, he and my parents followed. For whatever reason the doctor chose not to stop my contractions - - - YIKES!

I arrived at Defiance Hospital shortly after 5:00pm - was rushed into surgery (by now the baby had low oxygen because of the cord being "pinched" with me trying to push). They quickly put me under general anesthesia as Mike was brought in and at 5:31pm we had our first child.

Now - the story isn't completely over! We were told at our very first ultrasound half-way through that we were having a girl! We picked out the name Kelsey Rachelle. When I woke up after surgery I remember seeing Mike beside me holding a baby with a big smile on his face. I said "can I hold her?" and he said "no . . . but you can hold your son instead!".

We spent about an hour together holding our son, picking a name, and then my parents made sure Mike made it home safely to sleep after being up for nearly 36 hours.

Hard to believe it's been 21 years! We are very proud of you, Devin!  You are fine young man and bring such joy to your lives.

We love you much!

Love Mom and Dad!

No comments: