Friday, April 11, 2008

Jars of Clay: "Oh My God"

At the very bottom of our web-page there is a playlist of music selected for our website. One of our absolute favorite contemporary Christian songs is "Oh My God" by Jars of Clay. The first time Mike and I heard it we were speechless - it was so captivating. The next few times we started really listening to the words and realized how powerful it is.

I recently read an article where the members of Jars of Clay were explaining their meaning and interpretation of the song - I thought I would share it:

"OMG is a mediation on the reality of the power of this phrase. All the different ways it is uttered. It is so universal, I dare say that these words fall from the lips of every man whether he is cursing God or praising him, gasping in horror or in joy. It is a meditation on all the reasons that a man might cry out “Oh My God” and the end is left silent so that we might hear whether or not God is going to answer. " (Family Christian Bookstore Interview: 60 Seconds with Jars of Clay)

If you've never heard the song - listen to it by clicking the arrow in the middle of the playlist.

The next time you listen to it - think about it.

No comments: