Saturday, April 2, 2011

Cancer SUCKS!


Too many people in my life have fought cancer and lost... But this time, it's different and more of a reality check for me.

I met my sweet friend Heidi 5 years ago, shortly after we moved to North Carolina. A few months after we met, we flew to St. Louis together for training. She knew I was afraid of flying and we chatted a lot on the flight. That's when we realized how much in common we had....

-Heidi and I are the same age.
-Heidi and Matt have been married as long as Mike and I have.
-Heidi has 4 children like we do, the oldest being 17 for both of us.
-Heidi is also an Occupational Therapist.
-Heidi and I have worked for the same companies while in NC.
-Heidi is from Defiance County.... moved here for work like we did.

Heidi has been battling breast cancer for less than a year...

LESS THAN A YEAR!

On Wednesday of this week she came home from the hospital for one final time on hospice care until she's welcomed Home into the arms of Jesus any day.

I think that all the things we share are what makes it even harder for me. I can easily picture myself in her place right now... me having to make tough decisions about my life... my family going through what her family is going through.

Then I think about her young daughter won't have her Mom to be there for her first date... for her first prom... for her wedding. There are all those special moments that a mother and daughter share. There are also special moments with her boys that will never come for her, or them. She won't be here for graduations, birthdays, and so much more!

Then I have the piece of me that realizes a friend of mine, my age is losing her life. MY AGE!
There's just so much life left to live when you're only 39...

So...

I will hug my kids a little harder.
I will tell them I love you a little more.
I will tell them "maybe later" a little less.

Because tomorrow... it could be me.



1 comment:

Nikki said...

I am so, so sorry to hear this.

Nikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com