Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Heart Hurts...

Devin and Kayleigh's friend, Nicholas Doub, is now resting in the arms of his Lord and Savior.

On Sunday night, Nick's friends held a candle-light vigil at Reagan High School around their spirit rock. It was absolutely touching! HUNDREDS of people came as a few students led in prayer and music. Teachers were there, parents were there, students from other schools and community members were there. The way that everyone came together was like nothing I've ever seen before and left me just looking around with tears in my eyes!

Kayleigh was asked to share her discussion with Nick that she had the morning of the accident. All day Sunday, she said there was no way she could do it... she just knew she'd cry as soon as she began to speak. At youth Sunday afternoon, a leader who is very near and dear to our family (Doug Todd) spoke with her, and prayed with her. Even when we left there, she wasn't sure she could go through with it.

Well.... with the grace that she always carries, she took the microphone and DID it! She spoke of how happy Nick was that morning. How he thought that Thursday was going to be a GREAT day! She also talked about how he always made her laugh and how happy he always was. Other students also talked about his laughter, and how Nick was just Nick... he never let anyone or anything get him down.

Since news came of his passing, Kayleigh has been grieving in a way like I've never seen her grieve. I'm sure the anniversary of her good friend McKana's death being only weeks away only adds to her pain. It hurts my so much as a parent to see her hurting. It makes it worse knowing that I can't take that hurt away. She has to process through it on her own, and trust that Nick's life had a huge purpose, as did McKana's, and their work here was done, the Lord has called them home.

As a parent, my heart hurts even more. I look at my kids and think to myself... "that could could have been MY child so easily!". I cannot imagine the pain that Mr. and Mrs. Doub are feeling and I hurt for them!

Tomorrow will be a very hard day for the Doub family, the Reagan Raider family, and the community. But I think I can say for certain that instead of being a funeral... with the way that Nick laughed and loved... tomorrow will truly be a celebration of life! A life that was full of happiness, joy, laughter, and fun!

We should all learn from Nick....

Tell EVERYONE you love them!
Never walk away angry!
Live life to the fullest!
and always... Laugh a little more!



No comments: