rops about 30-40cm. Mike scored 370 microseconds and that was with the object dropping 57cm.
Many thanks and much love to all
Good News/Bad News Update but the good news is the BEST!
After almost 3 years, 2 denials, and now another year with the next step, we were notified by our attorney that Mike's disability hearing HAS BEEN SCHEDULED for November 30 at 1:45pm. The attorney's office is gathering all updated notes and test results from all of his doctors now. He will have to see neuro and his PCP to get updated forms filled out on his level of function and seizures. Once all these appointments are done and the documentation is all received we will go in to the office and sit down with the attorney to talk over what to expect. The hardest part of it all is that what the doctors all believe Mike has (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) can't be diagnosed until after death, so the court doesn't have to accept it as a diagnosis. This means that there has to be well documented medical evidence of all Mike's symptoms to support his case and get it approved.
The bad news is that the new Affordable Healthcare Act certainly hasn't made obtaining insurance easy and we STILL don't have health insurance. It won't be effective until November 1st and the first month installment has to be paid BY November 1st, and is going to cost us a pretty penny that we don't have. In addition to that, everything this month is out of pocket for ALL of us... prescriptions, copays at appointments, etc. At this point, we have been unable to refill a few scripts because the cost is simply too much out of pocket without insurance coverage. Scary for sure, but trusting in God for health and financial provision along the way.
So... prayer requests right now are
- That Mike's doctors will send all the documentation to the attorney in a timely manner
- That Mike's medical documentation will be clear in regards to his limitations and symptoms
- That Mike's disability hearing will go favorably
- Financial provision and help
- Paige's asthma doesn't decide to act up this month! (She does have rescue inhalers, just not her daily preventative)
Thank you for the love, prayers, and financial support that has been given! We have no words for how much it as meant to us to have an Army by our side!
Michael & Michelle
Things here are pretty much status quo.
Mike did see the new seizure doctor (new to us anyway) at Barrow in August. I cautiously say we really liked him because we had a bad experience at Barrow when we first moved here a few years ago. Dr. Saghal had done his homework and knew Mike's entire situation and then assessed him. He ended up having his attending, Dr. Schusse, come in to the room to be sure they are doing everything they can. They aren't going to do any new EEGs as of yet because they got all the info they needed from the EEGs Mayo did. Dr. Saghal IS referring Mike to Dr. Knievel who is the doctor we were hoping to get into to begin with -so that was a relief. She is supposedly the best in Phoenix when it comes to headaches due to trauma. Dr. Saghal also made a referral for Mike to see Dr. Cardenas at the Barrow Concussion and BRAINS Clinic. So now we just wait on an opening to go in.
Mike's still having seizures fairly regularly. For the first time ever I was able to catch what happens to him on THIS VIDEO. (It's also in the photos/videos section of this website.) I will warn you, it's not easy to watch. But it gives you an idea of daily life for him. I sent it to our primary care doctor the next day and his reply was "Wow.... just wow! I had no idea it was that bad...". I'm glad we have it now so the other doctors can see exactly what I try to describe and the disability court can see exactly what happens!
I guess the biggest thing that's happening right now is we have to go about 3 weeks with NO HEALTH INSURANCE. We filled all of Mike's scripts the last week on our old insurance and will be buying our own policy October 10th. We have to wait because it's crazy expensive to purchase your own. We do have the option of buying the COBRA through my last employer, but it's even more expensive than buying our own. We are hoping and praying we can get through the next 3 weeks without needing a doctor!
So - the prayer requests right now are
1) We won't need insurance this 3 weeks!
2) We get a disability hearing date SOON!
3) We hear from Dr. Knievel and Dr. Cardenas' offices soon with appointment dates
Much love to all!!
Mike & Michelle
Friends and Family
I am sorry for not updating more often, but sadly, there hasn't been much change. Michael continues to see his neurologist and primary care physician regularly but at this point there is nothing anyone can do differently. He is having seizures fairly regularly (usually at least one every 10 days, if not more often) and every day deals with the continued dizziness, balance deficits, headaches, etc. with some days being better than others. We treasure the good days, and pray through the hard. Our primary care doctor put it bluntly not long ago when he said "it's time we face the reality that this is not going to get better and focus on managing the symptoms as they come". Not easy words to hear, but words we knew were coming.
As far as disability goes Michaels' case is still in "ready to schedule" status for the hearing, but no word on a hearing date. His attorney feels like it should be by the end of September, but who knows when it comes to SSA! This has been a VERY frustrating process as we watch our finances sink and credit score plummet every single month, but we know there is an end in sight!
As always, thank you for carrying Michael through in prayer!
Still processing it all, but wanted to post an update on our UCLA trip.
I guess I'll start with the good news..... Michael is officially in the Clinical Research Study on the long term effects of TBI and the role it plays in Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. The assessment covered everything! Cognition, memory, reaction speed, balance, and more! He was one tired man by the end of it. The areas he scored the worst on were memory/recall and balance. No real surprise to us. They opted not to do the neuropsych testing because they felt the results wouldn't be valid until some of the symptoms are better under control - primarily pain. They may have us do it at a later date, but as of right now it's not in the plan.
UCLA discussed MANY different ideas for treatment and symptom management, but he was pretty honest up front and said "if there was a magic pill to make it all go away.... you would have it by now and not be in my office". He did have some recommendations and we are going to try a medication change that likely won't help immediately, but may over time help to improve things. We also talked to them about trying acupuncture for some symptom management, and they were on board with that as well. All of the recommendations UCLA made are being sent to both Michael's primary care doctor and his primary neurologist here in Phoenix. We don't have to go back to UCLA unless things drastically change.... they will communicate with the neuro here from this point forward.
All in all we were happy. We had a great few days just the two of us and even had some good quality time outside of UCLA.
We came back to Phoenix Thursday afternoon and did hear from our attorney Friday. She said that Michael’s claim status changed to Ready to Schedule on March 31, 2015. Basically it means that we could get a call tomorrow or many months from now to schedule an actual disability hearing date. The hearing date is approximately 3 months from the day we hear from the scheduler. One step forward.... yes. But frustrating none-the-less.
Anyhow - that's the update for now. As always... thank you for your love, prayers, and support!!!
The time has come.... we leave first thing in the morning for LA and check in Tuesday morning at 9am with UCLA Medical Center!! We are a bucket of nerves and have no idea what to expect or what they will suggest. Our hope is we walk away with 3 things....
1) Learn more about Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy and the role it plays in neuromuscular diseases such as ALS and MS.
2) How do we manage the symptoms to improve overall quality of life.
3) What can we expect down the road?
No words can describe the thanks we have for all of the financial support to make this week happen! We thank you, again, for all of the concern and prayers and for sharing the fundraising page to help get us this far! Please keep praying, sharing, and supporting! This is a long, bumpy road!
Much love!
Michael and Michelle
What a week! Michael's Dad and Judy came for 4 days to visit and his sister and family (Tricia, Bill, Zach, and Ethan) came with them. As an added surprise that his parents didn't know about.... Kayleigh flew in from Colorado to be with us too.
The highlight of the visit was the few days we spent in Prescott with them and it certainly started off with a bang! As we pulled down the long steep drive to the cabin the kids tried hard to wake up Michael but he was totally unresponsive. I parked the van, threw my door open and ran around to his side of the van. Those automatic doors couldn't open fast enough for me! His Dad jumped out of their vehicle and came running seeing that something was wrong. We shook him, yelled at him, and tried hard but we got nothing! Those few minutes seemed like forever and my heart was racing! Finally he started to mumble a little and slowly opened his eyes having no idea what happened and we aren't really sure how long he was totally unresponsive. After he sat there for a few minutes he finally started looking around and realized where we were. The first words out of how mouth.... "Oooooooh TREES!". So funny! Michael's Dad and brother in law walked him into the cabin and he was able to sit and the rest of the night he was pretty much wiped! Poor guy!
The rest of the Prescott trip wasn't quite as dramatic thankfully. Michael is now using his walker when we are out and about so he was able to do a little bit and sit and rest when he needed to. We enjoyed time walking part of the trail at Watson Lake (there are a few pictures in the Photos tab above), walked the shops in downtown Prescott, had a great dinner at Prescott Brewing Company, and enjoyed lots of sweet family time at the cabin in the mountains. After returning home last night we finished their trip off with old friends and a campfire.
Lots of precious memories made over the last 4 days and as always, the goodbyes were hard last night!
Today, we look forward to UCLA.. In less than 48 hours we will be on the road to Santa Monica and finally get to sit down face to face with a man who we hope and pray has the answers we need!
As always, thank you ALL for praying, offering financial support, the sweet messages, and just for the love and support!!
Not much new to report for this week's update. Seems like I have been super busy the last week with work and softball, but Michael had a week with NO appointments... kind of a break for him.
Michael did go with me to Paige's softball game last night. Took a lot out of him. When he gets tired and worn out his walking is awful... scares me because he refuses to use a walker still. Walking out of the ball park last night must have scared Jim and Jen too because Jim ended up walking Mike all the way to the car to make sure he didn't fall. Jen told him it's TIME to use a cane at least! Ha!
We are looking forward to Michael's parents and one of his sisters - and her family - coming a week from tonight. They rented a cabin in Prescott to get away to the mountains for a few days before we head to UCLA in just 13 days!!
As always; thank you for the messages, cards, donations, and prayers! Keep them coming!
While we wait for UCLA,Michael's neurologist decided to try an IV infusion to break the cycle of headaches, atypical seizures, etc that he has now been in for more months than we can count. The idea was to at least help him feel a little better and function a little better. They ran a series of IV meds.... Zofran/Benadryl to be sure he didn't get sick, Decadron to reduce the inflammation in the brain, Depakote to help with the constant migraine type headache AND it's to help with any possible seizures we can't see, and a ton of fluids. . Unfortunately.... it didn't work and actually was feeling a bit worse after. Not the result we wanted.
After talking to the infusion nurse manager who is very familiar with Michael, we are all are in agreement that UCLA is the next step. Unfortunately, we are still $1500 shy of being able to go and we are facing the decision to reschedule yet again. Michael is feeling defeated and worn through it all and it kills me to watch him suffer and not enjoy things that we all take for granted.
Please keep praying.... for Michael's health, for financial provision so that we don't have to reschedule, for us as his caregivers, and for the doctors that he sees. Also, please continue to share this link for others to pray with us and if they feel led to help us get there.
This week has been full of ups and downs. The downs are just more of the same... Michael feeling just weak, tired, etc. etc. etc. I'll spare you those details and focus on the ups!
One of Michael's closest friends, Alan Jones, flew in to spend a few days with us. Saturday, Alan and I were determined to get Michael to a Reds spring training game. I'm happy to report we DID it! Alan and I walked Michael through the crowd straight to his seat. Anything Michael wanted we brought to him. He was able to enjoy the entire game, even though Reds lost! Poor guy was exhausted after the long walk back to the car, but it was great to see him out and enjoying something he loves!
Sunday morning we let Michael sleep in while we all went to church. Afterwards, we had friends over to visit and catch up with Alan too. Alan manned the grill with Michael's supervision while we all chatted and enjoyed the perfect weather!
Monday, Michael got some much needed rest in the afternoon while Alan took the kiddos out for the afternoon. Monday evening we all were able to go out to dinner, then went to Paige's first softball game ever. She was nervous, but ended up doing a great job and their team won 15 to 12! Gracious I forgot how uncomfortable metal bleachers are to sit on for hours at a time! LOL!
28 more days until UCLA! Still have a long way to go to get there. Praying hard we don't have to reschedule again.
Thank you for all of the love, messages, hugs, donations, and prayers!
I'm trying to do a better job of updating weekly....
The last week we saw Michael's primary care doctor for 3 month follow up and labs and his then his neurologist on Monday, Since last Tuesday, he has had a bit more trouble with balance, dizziness, headaches, and just feeling "funky". He described it to Dr. Saperstein (neurologist) as "numb... almost like a floating feeling". They aren't really sure what's causing it. The neurologist did a quick autonomic test yesterday morning in the office to rule out it being a flare of his dysautonomia, and sure enough that was not it. I asked specifically if it could be related to CTE and they really can't tell us.... they just aren't familiar enough with the disease. Just need the input from UCLA.
Michael has continued to not let it totally keep him down. He went with me to the softball field Saturday to practice with Paige. After about 10-15 minutes I sent him to the dugout while Chase and I continued to practice and Michael just coached all of us from the dugout. It was good to get out of the house for a while! Michael's family is coming the first week of April and that will certainly lift his spirits too!
Michael's appointment at UCLA is in 4 weeks and we have a long way to go financially to get there. Again, thank you all for loving us through this journey... financially, messages, hugs, and prayer!
Michael's story starts back in high school....
I came across this today and it hit home in a BIG way!